Friday 15 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST XII

Weather cold, off to the shed.

Last night I made the prototype of my veneer saw. but had to wait for the glue to dry before I could test it.


Well here it is, a bit rough and ready, but it is only the prototype, I think I have filed the teeth to big but well see.


Trying it out on the piece of test edging, I made the other day.


Using a piece of scrap for a straight edge.


Line it up, and hoping it will cut on the draw stroke.


It worked just fine, but I will remake it with smaller teeth and a carved handle.






On the second attempt it worked well too.
Today I am going to make the base, and finish the box.


I have cut some pieces of Australian Red Cedar.


Using masking tape and two sided tape, on the back oF one of the pieces.



Firmly attach it to my (no idea what to call it maybe Clamping thing), Clamping thing.



With the marking gauge/knife, slowly cut to the required depth. 


Then Turn the clamping thing on its side and again using the marking gauge/knife cut to required depth.





Perfect rebate.


Using a small drop saw, I mitered the corners to make small feet.





Sanded and glued these into the corners of the bottom, of the box.


Then clamped into position.

When dry and after a lot of fine sanding I applied a cote of oil.



Probably not the correct way of drying, but it works. two or three more coats of oil and it will be finished.

email me at holmesp06@gmail.com




No comments: