Wednesday 13 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST X

Running behind schedule, Thought I would have had the box completed by now, not that it matters, I had to go do some of those real life things, like shopping.  Today I will finish the inside of the box at least and hopefully do the hinges.



Next I cut strips of veneer, for around the lid and top of the base of the box.




Coat both surfaces with glue, allow to dry and then apply a second coat of glue, allow to dry.


Miter one coener, and position.


Using a hot iron, iron the veneer into position.


Using a small plain or scraper, trim the edge.



Sand the edges smooth. If there are any loose or rough bits, these can catch and cause chips to came out.


Mark the corner at 45 degrees.


Then with a sharp chisel, trim the veneer.






Continue until complete.


Then repeat the process for the top of the base of the box.


Made the hinges while waiting for the glue to dry. I get asked if making wood hinges is difficult, not really, a bit like making a box the size of your thumbnail with box joints. 


Tape the lid into position.


Put masking tape along the back of the box where the hinges are to be positioned. Tomorrow I will install the hinges, thought I would have had time today, but to much time waiting for glue to dry. 


Just invented the perfect light for my much beloved Dremel.

Hope to have a long day doing woodplay tomorrow. 

Send me an email at holmesp06@gmail.com

No comments: