Tuesday 5 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST II

Cold, wet and miserable, that's the weather. Politics aren't worth mentioning, that leaves woodwork, or playing with wood.


Yesterdays progress was good, today I will continue with the inlaid pelican, for the lid and maybe start one of the side panels, as i'm interested to see if I can cut that fine and not have the piece fall apart. It will require patience, to wait for the glue to dry, when the great creator, handed out patience, I must have been distracted.


Happy with it so far.


As I don't have any wood dark enough, I have scorched some Australian Red Cedar with a small blowtorch.


Then I have coated the Cedar with super glue and allowed this to soak into the wood, this seals in the colour. I don't believe in using artificial dies to colour wood, but I am OK with scorching to deepen a colour.


For this project I am using my trusty Ryobi scrollsaw, not the top of the market, but still a very good unit, most suitable for this type of work.



Colour seems OK, black with a tinge of brown for effect.





Glue into position.


Even works better when in place.







Choosing, cutting and shading off the beak was a bit more difficult, but again seems to have worked.


Next the eye.


With the eye, I cut the large dark section first, then cut the smaller section into this.


The pelican is finished, as I am finished for today, didn't get to start  on the sides, tomorrow is another day.




No comments: