Monday 18 August 2014

FINISHING OLD PROJECTS II

Monday 18/08/2014

Today didn't go according to plan, so I haven't achieved quite what I wanted to. It doesn't matter really, the world has not stopped spinning and we haven't all fallen off, which probably isn't a bad way of seeing things.
It's blowing a gale outside, but not raining, quite a nice day if you can stay out of the wind.
To all new readers, welcome and to regulars welcome back.



Finishing off this heart box for my wife Christine, was today's task, but I can see I wont get it finished.


Started to get myself organised, found this piece of Silky Oak (Queensland), I don't yet know what my next project will be, but it will include some of this Silky Oak.



Started cutting.




Cut 4 good pieces of veneer from it and still have a piece 1/2" thick to use for frames or stands, depends on what I make.



Back on task, all I need to do is finish inside the box and do a small marquetry panel for inside the lid.






Start by measuring inside the lid.




Select the veneer for the marquetry inside the lid.


Tape the veneer with low stick masking tape. 



Measure and mark.


Clamp the veneer to the work bench, using a piece of scrap pine for a straight edge.


Then with the homemade veneer saw, using light strokes towards myself, cut the veneer.






Make sure the panel fits, without being too tight. 


Sand the face of the veneer.


Using low stick painters tape,




cover the face of the veneer.



I use a different colour tape on the back of the veneer, it just makes it easier for simple folk like me, to tell front from back.




Measure the inside ends of the box.



Cut the veneer to width.


Place the veneer into position and mark the height.



Cut to size.




Mark and cut the other end.


Sand say rough surface.



Remove all dust from inside the box.



Apply glue to the veneer and the inside of the box.




Clamp the veneer into position.



While I'm waiting for the glue to dry, I have designed a couple of patterns to go inside the lid.


I have to admit, I am no artist, I find drawings of different things and put them together, or make a drawing of a photograph, as with a lot of the roses I do. If I know the original sauce I will give the creator credit or if it is copyright I won't use it.
If any one ever recognizes something I have used please let me know so I can do the right thing.


I have chosen the rose, as the box is for my beautiful wife.



I am using Australian Red Cedar for the heart, as I did on the outside lid.


Securely tape the veneer to the underside of the pattern.


Again I'm using the Ryobi scrollsaw.



I hate changing blades, so have purchased extra blade holders, it makes life a little easier.





Setup the blade and tension as would be normal.


Then set the scrollsaw table to about 6 degrees, there is no formula to this it depends on the thickness of the veneer and the size of the scrollsaw blade being used.


Drill a pilot hole and thread the blade from underneath the veneer.



Tighten and tension the blade.



Cut in a clockwise direction.


Remove from the scrollsaw.


Press the inlay pieces through the back of the piece.


Remove the veneer from the back.




Put glue around the inlay area, and position.


The front of the piece needs to be held flat, while the glue dries.




When the glue is dry, position the veneer behind the other side of the heart and secure in position.


Drill a pilot hole in the second half of the heart at an angle of about 12 degrees, as this entry hole needs to be hidden.




Cutting the second half of the heart, I hadn't secured the veneer properly and it has moved, this is not a disaster, I just have to repeat the process.


About all I have time for today, hoped to have achieved more but not to be.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, if you have any questions or would like to introduce yourself and say g'day, you can send me an email at.
Peter Holmes

No comments: