Monday 25 August 2014

AUSTRALIAN MARQUETRY BOX: Post I

MAKING THE BOX

Monday 25/08/2014


Yesterday, I designed the top of the box, last night I drew up the design for the box, I am going to use two different coloured timbers, light and dark, and use box joints. I haven't tried, doing box joints when using veneer, only with solid timber, I think it should work, but maybe not. I also plan to make a little stand for the box.


The dimensions of the box are 180mm (7 1/8") x 120mm (4 15/32") x 80mm (3 3/16"). I have cut MDF panels for the sides, Length - 1", then glued solid timber onto the ends. Always waiting for glue to set.



 

Trim the ends so they are flush.




Cut veneer slightly oversize. 


Apply glue to the side panel substrate and the back of the veneer.




Securely clamp with even pressure.


Repeat for the other three sides, and allow the glue to dry.



Trim the edges. Repeat this process on the other side of the panels.



On the inside of the panels, I have joined pieces of veneer together, inside the box it won't show, and it's better than wasting the veneer.


Give the panels a light sand.



Mark out the length of the sides and cut to size with a small drop saw.




For the box joints, I won't go into much detail, as there is a lot of people out there that can do a far better job the me. I mark the depth of the joint with the corresponding side.



Measure and mark the joints on one side. I have used blue tape to give some contrast.






I cut the joints on the scrollsaw.


Mark the corresponding  joint. It's hard to hold two pieces of timber, a scalpel to mark with and take a photo at the same time.








That turned out ok.








Next post I'll finish off the frame and start on the lid.
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog.

You can email me at holmesp06@gmail.com



No comments: