Friday 1 August 2014

CELTIC SHARK, INLAID WOOD BOX POST VIII

CUTTING THE LID AND FITTING HINGES:

Another day of woodfun in the shed, beautiful day outside, spring has definitely come early, still another month of winter, and I haven't even put a jumper on today. Politics is still the same, stupid government think they control the people, not the people control the government, yet they preach democracy.


I wrap painters tape around the top of the box.



Then I set the marking/cutting gauge to the depth I want to cut the lid, and scribe around the box, ensuring that, I cut through the veneer surface, this gives a cleaner cut edge.






Using a good quality saw, I carefully cut around the line.





Separate the box from the lid, and using sandpaper, I clean up around the saw cut.



Select a piece of veneer for the edges.





Using the marking gauge/cutter, cut strips to cover the edges.




Miter one end of a strip.





Put an even coat of PVA glue on all the edge surfaces, allow to dry, then put a second coat of PVA glue on each surface again, allow to dry.



Using a hot iron, iron the veneer onto the lid edge.




Work around the box until all the edges are covered.



Holding the hinge, score around the edge.







Using a small chisel, chisel out the waste.





Adjust and fit the hinge.



Apply glue to both surfaces and press together.





With the lid held flat and square, secure in position with painters tape.



Mark the position of the hinge on the lid.



Cut out the hinge recesses.





Glue and clamp the hinges into position. This process isn't as simple as it looks, it took me hours to get this right and I'm still not happy with the result. (I read somewhere, but can't remember where, or I'd give them credit "we can all do woodwork, but it is he/she who took the time to learn to cover the mistakes, that became the craftsman".




Inside the lid looks a bit messy, so I'm going to do an inlay on the inside panel, I'm trying to decide between the rose I have drawn on the computer and a Celtic butterfly, I'll draw one up tonight.











No comments: