Friday 1 August 2014

CELTIC SHARK, INLAID WOOD BOX POST VII


MAKING WOOD HINGES


Found this little saw in my son's tool box, that he was going to take when he left home, about 12 years ago.


Going through my pile of, this well be useful one day wood, found a small piece of  Bloodwood, only about 3" long and 1/4" thick. It is very hard, so I thought it would make some nice wood hinges for the Celtic Shark box. As I'm filling in time, waiting for the glue to dry, why not make the hinges.





I put a piece of painters tape along the face, then with my marking gauge scribe a line the length of the wood.


I then cut through the length of the wood. (Pic was out of focus, did you know, old cameramen never die, they just loose focus. As I use to be a cameraman, maybe I should be worried. ) 



I then mark out the joint, as I would do if I was making a box joint.






Cut the joint on the scrollsaw, this time I'm using the electric scrollsaw as it takes a while with the hand operated scrollsaw.




Mark and cut to length.



Mark the other half of the joint.





Cut out on scrollsaw.


fit both parts together.


Using a small press drill, drill out the center.


Insert a small pin. usually a brass nail, but I don't have any at the moment,



With a millers file round over the ends, this allows the hinge to bend.





Cut the hinge to length, usually I make both at the same time, but as I was taking photos, I only made one at a time. 




No comments: