Thursday 7 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST IV

Laminating the sides and bottom of the box:

Weather update, sunny, but cold rains finished for awhile I hope, I get bogged in the wheelchair every time I go outside, not much fun. That's why I love the shed, might be cold, but I can't get bogged. any excuse.



With the wood inlay for the sides finished, its time to start on the box. With this project I have constructed the frame of the box first, I haven't tried making an inlaid box this way before. I usually make each panel first then put the box together. I am also trying this way to answer a question from Jason, who was wondering if it was possible to purchase a craftwood (MDF) box from a hobby shop and do wood inlay over it, can't see why not. 

 

With the inlay done, its time to laminate the box, first I cut strips of veneer. These are for the small side panel at the bottom of the box.


Measure and cut to lengths of veneer.


Apply glue, I'm using quick set PVA glue, again that patience thing.


Clamp to box, I use a lot of clamps to spread the pressure, continue around the box. Today is going to be one of those day spent waiting for glue to dry.



Put two coats of glue around the bottom of the box and on the cut strips, allowing to dry in between cots.



Using a hot iron, iron the strips to the box, mitering the corners.






Again on both ends of the box, and the back of the wood inlaid panels, I put a thin even coat of  PVA quick set glue and allow to dry, then repeat this step. 


Next I position the wood inlay panel on the end of the box and hold in place with tape.




Using the hot iron (Not the good one from the house), Iron the veneer to the box, making sure there are are no bubbles or gaps.





Using a metal ruler and a craft knife, trim the excess veneer.


 Using the ruler to leave a small lip prevents tear outs.




Bugger, second day in a row. thank god for woodworkers band-aids.


Using a millers file, I clean off the ends and make flush with the box.







Clean off with sandpaper.

I have started with the ends of the box first, I think it will be easier to conceal the corner joints this way. That is also the reason I did, the small sections at the bottom first, I figure by starting there, then doing the very bottom of the side, followed by the large area of the inlay panel, there should be no side grain showing.

No more time today, well see how tomorrows goes.



No comments: