Friday 29 August 2014

AUSTRALIAN MARQUETRY BOX: Post V

The AUSTRALIA BOX: Marquetry


Friday 29/08/2014

Not much time today, got up this morning and,



Blue sky,


Nothing but, blue skies.


And after a visit from the painter the pool is empty again, he pumped out nearly a meter (3 feet), which means we have had nearly a meter of rain in three days, hope it stays dry long enough for him to paint this time.


After breaking and then fixing Skippy, I coated it with super glue to give it some strength. I then scraped the surface smooth, I won't sand until it is glued into the lid of the box.



Next I wrapped tape around the top of the box.





Using my marking gauge/knife, I scribed around the box for the lid.


Securely clamp the box.





Using a good quality saw (old saw), carefully cut around the scribed line.


I use a small piece of veneer, to stop the cut closing and keep the saw cut clean.





Clean up the edges, the tape helps to an extent, just a light sanding should be enough.




Measure and cut the inside marquetry panel to fit.



Apply PVA glue to both surfaces.


And clamp securely.


The Wood Hinges


I have chosen this piece of Red Cedar for the hinges.


I cut two pieces 5mm (1/4") thick.


Tape one end.




Mark out the hinge.


Cut on wast side of mark. 



Cut out waste.


Cut the pieces in half.




Mark out as you would for a box joint.




Cut out matching half.



Mark the position for the hinge pin.



With a small press drill, drill the pin holes.



Using a piece of wire.




Round over the ends.







And shape, so the hinge works in a 180 degree arc.



No comments: