Thursday 21 August 2014

FINISHING OLD PROJECTS IV

THURSDAY 21/08/2014

First I'd like to congratulate Ron and Meg on the occasion of there marriage yesterday, 20th August 2014 at Ballina. NSW.
As my wife and I, were witness at the service, I was unable to get into the shed, some things must take priority over woodplay, I mean woodwork. We had a wonderful day, with the service, then photos at East Ballina, followed by lunch at the Remarda Motel, on the beautiful Richmond River.


Today after the excitement of yesterday, I have decided to continue with the finishing of old projects. I have chosen a box, I started back in early 2013, one of the early pieces using the current technique, the veneer used in this box is actually a cheap piece of three ply, cost about $3.00 for the sheet, Red Cedar an old gentleman gave me and Camphor Laurel I found in the bush out the back.


I can't remember where I got the design from, but probably an old book, that I adapted for the project.



One of the first attempts at wood hinges, I was told that they won't work, were to difficult to make, I just saw that as a challenge.


Then made about the most stupid mistake, I did the marquetry on the inside of the lid upside down. I that point I put the box to one side, said ill fix that later, later has now arrived.


As It was so long ago, I don't have any of the ply left, I have selected a piece of veneer that is a similar colour, and grain, that should work.



Measure the length inside of the lid.




Also measure the diagonals to make sure the lid is square.



Put tape across the veneer approximately where the cut will be made. 


And wrap around the edges.


Measure and mark the veneer.



Clamp to work bench using a straight edge.



Using a pulling motion, cut the veneer.



Then measure the width and repeat process.


Just thought, I'd show the modern Swiss Army knife my son bought for me when he was in Switzerland, I love it.


A note, why I use low stick tape is that it is not as likely to tear out the grain, when removed. It will still, at times tear the grain, unless removed in the same direct as the grain is running.



With the veneer cut and fitted, tape where hinge recess is to be cut.


Mark the recess.





Cut the recesses and ensure fit.


Next, tape the recess cut out area, this is to protect the veneer.




Tape both sides of the veneer, I usually use different coloured tape, as I only have wide green tape that is what I will have to use. Now the design.


The Swiss army knife again.


For the pattern, I am using the same design as I did on the outside of the lid, modified to fit.











Print and cutout the pattern.


Position on the veneer, I usually put four marks around the pattern so I can easily re position it.


Apply PVA glue, I use PVA as it will stick the the tape.



Stick to the veneer and allow the glue to dry.


Should work OK.




I am using this old piece of Camphor Laurel, I found in the bush behind our house, for the petals.





I cut a thin veneer on the band saw, and sand smooth.



Just a small scrap of  Red Cedar for the stem.













That's all I have time for today, slow progress, but I have to wait for the glue to dry between every piece.
Thanks for visiting, if you have any questions or comments you can email me at.









No comments: