Wednesday 27 August 2014

AUSTRALIAN MARQUETRY BOX: Post III

The AUSTRALIA BOX, Marquetry

Wednesday 27/08/2014

I think I can use yesterdays opening, "GUESS WHAT!!!"


It's raining, and we are supposed to live on the driest continent in the world.



This pool was pumped dry on Monday, now it has 1/2 meter of water in it.
I got a email last night, saying I probably should start work on,


Noah's Ark, Little did they know.
Well it makes the decision to go do some woodplay, easy.



Today I'm going to do the Gum leaves and the Kookaburra.













Don't seem to have much to say today. 





Remove the pattern and the tape.


Using some sort of scraper level and smooth the back of the marquetry.




Clean the marquetry with alcohol or similar.


Cote of oil to protect the surface. 





Finish off the box joints with a millers file and sandpaper.



Apply a cote of PVA glue to the top of the box and the back of the marquetry, allow to dry, apply a second cote and allow to dry.

That's all I have time for today, I will do the lid tomorrow. After playing around with the Southern Cross stars over the center of the map of Australia, I have decided to forget that idea until I have time to make a practice piece, I'm quite happy with how the top is looking as it is.

Thanks for visiting, if you would like to send me an email I'll put a link.
Peter Holmes


No comments: