Monday 11 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST VIII

I'd Just like to say Hi to all new viewers. I have setup this blog in the hope of sharing ideas, I love wood and working with it. I am an armature woodworker with a special love for wood inlay or marquetry. I am not great with computers, but as time goes by I hope to figure out how to add a chat section, and a better way to leave comments, meanwhile you can email me at holmesp06@gmail.com or just click on my email address. 
Today I am going to open the box and start working on the inside of the box.


I start by putting painters masking tape around the top of the box.


Then with the marking gauge/knife set to the required depth cut around the lid, the marking allows the blade to cut straight, not try and follow the grain.



Using a sharp saw cut around the box.



I used the piece of veneer, so the clamp didn't squeeze the saw cut together.


Cleaning up the edges with sandpaper.



Select wood veneer to line the inside of the box.




As the veneer I am using is very old and brittle, I clamped the veneer to the bench and cut with a saw, this works OK, I'm going to try and make a veneer saw, as we don't seem to be able to purchase one in Australia (Note for Bunnings). Big corporation shops are destroying hardware in this country. they are driving the small specialty hardware stores out of business. Then not stocking the specialty tools, as there isn't enough turnover fore them. 



Next using a small hand plain, I even up one edge, the veneer I have taped to a piece of pine, to use as a reference or guide.


Then with this one straight edge, and with the veneer taped to the board, I can use a small square, to square off the veneer.


Cut using a saw or scalpel knife. The tape also prevents splitting and tearing.




Mark the length, and cut.




Remove all dust from inside the box.



As I can't get the iron into small spaces, I have to use the old fashioned method of putting a coat of PVA glue on both surfaces. It is also possible and maybe even better to use contact adhesive, but that method is to messy for me.


Clamp into position, using even pressure over the whole area.






Continue working around the inside of the box including the bottom.







Using the same procedure, line inside the lid edges.

Now to try to find a design for a Celtic Pelican, for inside the lid. The only designs so far have been to difficult or to ugly.

Send me an email at holmesp06@gmail.com

No comments: