Sunday 17 August 2014

FINISHING OLD PROJECTS I

Hi, Today is another beautiful day, after we had 110mm of rain yesterday and last night,


dam swimming pool is never going to get painted. They started more then 12 months ago. Quite windy, with a low depression system developing off the coast. Guess there is nothing to it, I'll have to spend the day in the shed. 
For any new readers welcome, you can catch up on the old projects by looking at past Posts. If you have any ideas or questions, I'd love to hear from you.


This week I won't have as much time as usual, so I intend finishing off some of my earlier projects, I have this really bad habit of starting something, having a great idea, I just can't wait to try, so I never quite finish the original project.


This little box is a good example, I designed it to have wooden hinges on the back, and a wooden latch on the front. As you can see I never quite got there, today is the day.



This morning, I got stuck, straight into it at a hundred miles an hour, forgot about the camera. Luckily I only  made the hinges, before I thought of it.


I cut and fitted the hinges, but at this stage I haven't glued them into position. 


You can see on the back I have made the design opposite to the front, to allow for the hinges and the latch in the middle on the front


Next, to be done is to cover inside of the lid with veneer, this needs to be done before the hinges are glued in.


I select the veneer to be used.


Using a piece of pine for a straight edge, clamp the veneer to the bench.


Then with my home made veneer saw,




I trimed the first edge, cutting in light pulling strokes, if cutting veneer this old and brittle with a scalpel, the knife will follow the grain and not cut straight. 



Measure the inside length of the lid.




Mark and cut the veneer.





Measure mark and the width of the inside of the lid, then cut.







Blue and clamp the veneer into place. Allow the glue to dry.


With the inside complete, glue the hinges into position.



Clamp and allow to dry.



The latch, I have cut from a scrap of pine, on the scroll saw. I cut the top piece into the lid, glued and allowed to dry.


Now to install the bottom of the latch.


Put into position to ensure everything is seated properly.


Then with masking tape applied to the box and and the back of the bottom latch, super glue into position.




Cut around the edge, with a scalpel, then remove the bottom part of the latch, leaving an exact, marked area to remove using a small chisel and/or a small router. 




Test to ensure a correct fit.





Glue into position.



Tidy up with sandpaper or a small sander. I do love my DREMELS.



Allow the glue to dry.





Sand the box back, and apply a couple of cotes of finishing oil.




This heart box, I started for my wife some time ago, it's about time it was finished.






 All I need to do, is something for inside the lid, and line the inside of the box.
This will be tomorrows task.
Thanks for visiting my blog. If you have any comment or have any questions feel free to email me.



No comments: