Tuesday 12 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST IX

After hours of searching, I have decided, not to do a Celtic Pelican wood inlay, for inside of the lid there just to ugly. In stead I have gone for the traditional, but much nicer butterfly.


Found a design I haven't tried, in an old book, I have redrawn it. to suite the wood inlay, and printed it.




Selected a piece of veneer, and taped both sides (green front and blue back). 


Cut out the pattern and glued it to the front of the wood veneer.


Selected a piece of Silver Ash veneer for the inlay/marquetry (I have been told that i'm doing marquetry not wood inlay). I don't go big on terms, so to me either title will do.


Drilled a pilot hole at an angle of 12 degrees. 


Threaded the scrollsaw blade through the pilot hole.


Cutting in a clockwise direction cut around the whole pattern.


Spread glue around the edge.




With the pattern facing in the right way, press into position. 





Using a small hammer and/or a brayer, make sure the edges are flush.




Now taking the original cutout piece, place it in position from the back and tape down.


Using a second copy of the pattern, cut out and position exactly over the top of the wood inlay.










Drill pilot holes and cut out inside design. 








Carefully position and glue all pieces into position.





Carefully remove all the tape.












Measure and cut to size.




Carefully sand the wood inlay panel, remembering it is only 0.6 mm think.



Evenly coat the inside of the box lid and the back of the wood inlay panel with glue. 



Clamp into position.




I'm happy with how it is looking, even before it's been finished.

Next I'll finish off the edging and install the hinges.


You can email me holmesp06@gmail.com



No comments: