Monday 4 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST I

PELICAN - POST I


This is not a shed or out building, this was once somebodies much loved home, times have changed, mostly for the better, but not always. I love the home we live in. it is beautiful and we are so lucky to have it. Although I love the old house for it's simple beauty, I really wouldn't like to live in it. However when it comes to old tools, things are different, old tools are much better quality, stay sharp, are more user friendly, whereas, unlike the old house, I really  don't like using new tools, there quality is generally c??p, made in China even most of the known brands.


As I mentioned, at the end of my previous blog, the above photo was sent to me by my older brother,  he asked me what I could do with it. Me being me can't resist a challenge, so last night I set to work.







Drew a line drawing off the photo, I can.t really draw that well, the computer does most of the hard work. Was going to use the same design on the sides of the box as I did on the Celtic Shark box.



After thinking about it for awhile I decided on a more complicate design, although it is still very similar. If it doesn't turnout, I can revert to the original design.


I selected these pieces of veneer, the brown for the background, I don't know what type of timber it is, (if anyone can identify it, I'd be most appreciative, if you could email me and let me know) and the light timber, this is silver ash, for the inlay design on the sides.



I cut out and glue the pattern to the face of the veneer, for the side panel I have used painters tape on both sides, this is because the veneer will become very week, due to the number of inlay pieces. For the pelican inlay, I will select the veneer as I go.















Cut out and glue in the inlay pieces, shading with the gas soldering iron as I go.

All I have time for today, start again tomorrow.

No comments: