Saturday 9 August 2014

WOOD INLAID PELICAN - POST VI

TOTALLY SIDE TRACKED:


After a couple of hours, working on the computer (most uncomfortable), I have come up with a design that might work, I'm going to make up a test piece, to see how it will look. I think the pelican box is too small, but I'll see. 


I start off as usual, by selecting the veneer, taping both sides, this isn't totally necessary, but as the veneer is so old and brittle it will stop it from splitting. Then I glue the pattern to the veneer and allow the glue to dry.




Even at this early stage I can see it is impossible to cut any smaller, the parts start blending into each other and the effect will be lost, I'll finish this off, then maybe try a design of a single strand with a knot in it. 

Should be able to do much smaller.









Turned out OK.


A bit of oil makes the pattern standout. I like it.





But it is way too big for this project, I think I'll finish this off the traditional way, and on the next box or draw I will give this design ago.


No comments: