Monday 7 July 2014

STARTING THE WOOD INLAY


I have decided that I should show some pictures of previous projects, so at the start of each new post I will show a couple of photos.




As you can see I have plenty of time on my hands.




After printing the plans, cut out and past, to the smooth level surface of the veneer. I use clag glue but any kids water based glue will do.



 With the timber selected cut the required veneers and smooth one surface.




I select a starting point, and workout the direction the grain should run.




With the grain running in the correct direction, secure the veneer behind the picture and attach securely.


I choose a starting spot in an area adjacent that will be covered later.


Drill a hole for the saw blade entry point.





Thread the saw blade through the work piece and tension saw. I have forgotten to mention that the scroll saw table is set a about a 5 degree angle, I will take some pics and show this next post.  


Saw around the selected area and remove from the saw.



Remove the cut out inlay from the backing veneer.




With a gas soldering iron I singe the edge of the inlay for effect.


Then glue the inlay into position from behind. With a scraper level the inlay from behind as I did earlier with the defects in the veneer. Then I repeat these steps until completed.






No comments: