Wednesday 23 July 2014

FINISHING THE SIDE PANELS:

Another day, another band aid.




With the Inlaid veneer side panel securely glued to the substrate (MDF), using a hand plain or scraper, level the face of the side panel. 





I cut a piece of veneer from West Australian Jarrah, for the back of the side panel, again using a hand plain or scraper smooth one surface. (This is not absolutely necessary if you have a good band saw.)



I glue this piece of veneer, (smooth side down) to the back of the side panel as described in my previous blog.





When the glue is dry, using a hand plain or scraper, smooth and level the surface.






With a vice, or other suitable clamping device, secure the side panel, then with a small hand plain, sanding block or scraper, level and square up one edge.




Using a marking gauge, mark the width of the side panel, then square-up the edge. 




The side panel is now complete.








Mark and route a groove for the bottom of the box.



I have made this router from a cheap rotary tool.



Mark the sides of the box and using a small drop saw I cut the mitered corners. I won't show the putting together of the box as there are a million better box makers than me, on the internet.

No comments: