Sunday 20 July 2014

APPLYING WOOD INLAY VENEER TO THE SIDE PANEL:

APPLYING WOOD INLAY PANELS: 





I am using MDF/craftwood for the frame (substrate) of the box. I could also have used solid timber or plywood to achieve the same result. MDF doesn't warp as much, so makes a more stable substrate.







Apply a thin even coat of PVA wood glue (I use a quick-set PVA glue only because I have a problem with patience, hate waiting for glue to set). There are other methods i.e. contact glue, (too messy for me) PVA glue and clamping, (problem veneer moves in the clamping process and if I don't notice, everything ends up out of alignment).


 Allow the glue to dry.




When the glue has dried, Place the veneer panel on top of the side substrate and align.









Using a very hot iron, iron the surface of the wood inlaid veneer panel, continuously moving the iron so as not to burn the wood inlay veneer. Ensure the veneer is securely attached with no gaps or bubbles.

Next, I will finish the sides and assemble the inlaid wood box.

No comments: