Monday 28 July 2014

CELTIC SHARK, INLAID WOOD BOX POST III


Another beautiful day, it rained overnight, so the air is fresh, if not a bit cool. Still annoyed at the media, so I’m off to the shed.
Yesterday, I left off with only a couple of inlays to cut and glue.





This morning, I’ve cut and glued the last of the inlay sections. Next I cleaned off the back of each panel, and then using a spray bottle soaked the paper on each panel, and allowed the water to sink into the paper.



When the paper is soaked, it is easily removed with a scraper, Sandpaper will work, but as the veneer is so thin I don’t like to use it.



With all the paper removed, given, I don’t have patience, I had to clean up the top panel and put a coat of oil, to see what it will look like, I’m quite happy.


Next step I cut the substrate for the frame of the box, I cut these slightly larger than needed, this allows me to clean up the edges with a small plane. The substrate can be made from solid timber, plywood or MDF as I am using.


Finish cleaning up the face of the veneer panels.


At this stage, I couldn't help myself, I had to try a coat, oil to see how it will look when finished.


Having cut the panels slightly oversize, glue to the substrate, I like to use the hot Iron method, as I have detailed in earlier posts, this time I am gluing the veneer directly to the substrate and clamping, as both pieces have been cut larger than necessary, so it doesn't matter if one surface moves slightly.




Using blue painters tape and two sided tape, (I use painters tape first as it's easier to remove, then two sided tape, and wont tear out the grain when removed) secure to work surface, I'm using an old cutting board, this so I can clamp the cutting board to the table, without the clamps getting in my way..




Using a scraper I thickness the side panels, so all are the same thickness. I then finish off with sandpaper.




Now the fronts, of the side panels are finished.



The next step is to cut and prepare veneer to be glued to the backs of the side panels.


Getting off the subject of Australian woodworking, I was just looked out the window and saw my friend "Bird", Bird has broken it's leg, defending it's territory about a week ago. This is the same bird that is the model for the inlay pattern, I used. He's looking a little better now, I hope it's going to be OK.

Time to call it a day, hope to get back to it tomorrow.







No comments: