Tuesday 29 July 2014

CELTIC SHARK, INLAID WOOD BOX POST IV

NOTE:
I have added a contact form, at the side, so anyone with a question or would just like to say g'day can do so. I am not up on technology and have no idea what I'm doing, so until I figure out a better way I will include this contact form. I am very happy to answer any questions or just have a chat.

CELTIC SHARK POST IV

Spring seems to have arrived early; the weather has been perfect for the last few days.


Just had a look out the back, it seems the guys have dropped over for a game. Great back yard, and the nice man from the local Council even comes and mows it for us. 





Yesterday, I finished by gluing the veneer to the backs of the sides, after allowing to dry overnight, I am now ready to finish off all the side panels. first of all I clean up level and square up the bottom of the side panel.





With the bottom level and square, using a marking gauge, mark the width of the panel. I am using a homemade gauge, with a scalpel blade in it, with this I cut through the veneer, this gives me a nice clean edge, and when planing, it is easy to see when I have reached your mark. Then with the piece secured, plane to correct width, this can also be done with a scraper.





Next I stack the four sides together and using a hand plain or scraper ensure everything is even.


Measure and mark the panels.




Using a small miter saw I cut the ends, checking for squareness as I go.





Dry assemble the frame making sure everything is square.



Mark the matching joints.





Using a router table I route a 1/8" groove for the bottom of the box.




I cut a panel for the bottom, out of some wast plywood.














Assemble and glue the base of the box, allow adequate time to dry.
  
Tomorrow I will start the lid.


No comments: