Wednesday 3 September 2014

MARQUETRY: I'm just going to try.

MARQUETRY

Wednesday 03/09/2014

Today I'm just going to try something, with our 40th wedding anniversary cumming up, I'm going to try and make a special box, I have tried to do an inlay of a person before, with some success, but a few minor problems, they say practice makes perfect, not that i'll ever be perfect.


I have drawn up the design. for inside the lid of the box first, this is the piece I want to get right.



I have selected a piece of light coloured veneer.



Covered it front and back with low stick masking tape.



Glued the pattern to the front of the panel.



I had two pieces of veneer, sort of skin tone, and have chosen the lighter coloured piece.


Securely taped the veneer to the back.


Selected a starting point and drilled a pilot hole for the saw blade.




Set the scroll saw table to 6 degrees, as I have said before, the angle depends on the thickness of the blade and the thickness of the top veneer, experience usually makes it right.



Threaded the scroll saw blade from the under side of the marquetry.





Then in a clockwise direction cut the piece to be inlaid.





Applied rapid set PVA glue to the edge.



Then securely clamped the piece, and allowed the glue to dry.












Continue piece by piece, occasionally two pieces can be done at the same time, this saves some glue drying time.

Short day today, I.ll finish this next post. Thanks for reading, hope you have enjoyed the post.

No comments: