Sunday 7 September 2014

MARQUETRY FLOWER BOX: Post I

MARQUETRY FLOWER BOX

Saturday and Sunday 6,7/09/2014

Started this post on Saturday, then got distracted, so if it sounds a bit disjointed don't be surprised, I'll try and get everything back into context, but as a bit of this happened then a bit of that, then back to this, and if you think that's confusing, then you have the idea. Plus the Flu has arrived, some people are coughing, spluttering and blowing bubbles, I haven't succumb yet, and as I haven't had the Flu since the 28th of April 1994, I suspect when I do finally come down with it, it won't be good, I remember that date well as it was also the day I finally gave up smoking. 
I've been fiddling around trying to come up with an idea,




I cut this plane out of a piece of scrap pine, from plans I found at scrollsawworlshop.blogspot.com for free. 




Got the pencils and paper out and started drawing, something a bit more formal this time I think.
The pencil case is like I remember from a long time ago, in primary school, everyone seemed to have one, but me. I had a fabric case made by my mother out of the scraps leftover from the school uniform she made for me, I must have been one of the coolest dudes in the school. I wanted one of those wood pencil cases, and now, I have one, even if I had to make it myself.







I have never had the confidence to draw anything like this before, but today it seemed right.


That was the end of Saturday.


Sunday 07/09/2014

Sunday Fathers day, cup of tea in bed, happens most mornings anyway. Got a great new camera for fathers day, well got it last week, but its a great camera anyway. Next it's off to the local market,


undercover, a good thing as its raining again.



Found this great stall, with this hand router, but I resisted and didn't buy it.


And this old spoke shave, still didn't buy it.


The cites little No 75 Stanley plane in excellent condition, but I resisted, must admit I buried it deep in the box, so no one could find it.


Then the best little dovetail saw I've seen at the market, bugger it, I had to have this one. We then finished the market, saw my old mate who had a log in the back of his truck for me, can't wait to cut into it. Just about to leave, but had to go back for one more look,


now its mine.
Next we drove to Ballina, Fathers day lunch at the Ballina RSL Club, by the beautiful Richmond River,




and a spot of sailing, well watched,



then over to East Ballina to the beach, we really do live in Gods own country, even if there are big sharks with sharp teeth out there.


Back home, to the shed for some woodplay.


I drew up the plan for the box. simple straight lined, with beveled edges, the base of the box will be made from that Silky Oak I cut up at the start of the previous project.



Next I chose the veneer for the top marquetry panel, and taped both sides with low stick masking tape. Forgot to take of photo of the veneer, so it will have to be a surprise.


Cut out the pattern and glued it to the front of the veneer, this time I'm trying something different, I have put sticky tape (celo tape) over the pattern, in the hope it will stop the pattern getting damaged in the clamping process, I hope it doesn't make the surface to thick and therefore leave the surface not flush.



Got out a selection of veneer pieces, to choose what I can use.






The New Guinea Rose wood and Purple Heart from America (very difficult to get in Australia), should work well for the flowers along with something a bit lighter.





The choices are endless.

And that ladies and gentleman is all I had time for in my weekend. Planning took most of today, tomorrow I set to work on the marquetry.

Thanks for taking the time to visit this blog, I'm always happy to answer any questions.

Peter Holmes
holmeso06@gmail.com
or leave a comment below.

No comments: