Thursday 18 September 2014

MARQUETRY FLOWER BOX: Post VI

POST NO 59: Marquetry Flower Box: Part VI

Another day in the shed, broke the car so we can't go anywhere, I don't think it's to serious the check engine light came on and has stayed on, but the car seems to be running as well as ever, it's just I don't want to risk doing any damage, so the mechanic can do his job before I'll risk it.


Got to work with the computer last night and came up with a design for inside the lid.



I intend to use cepier tones rather than try and find suitable coloured veneers.



I have selected the veneer, cut and made sure it fitted into the lid.



Cover the back of the veneer with low adhesive masking tape.



I sanded the front of the veneer, as the surface was very rough and would have made it very difficult to get smooth after I have done the marquetry.



Cover the front of the veneer with low stick tape, I try and use different coloured tape for the front and back.


Mark the panel center points.


Position the pattern.



Glue the pattern into position and allow to dry.


Select a starting point.


Securely tape the inlay veneer behind the pattern.


Drill a pilot hole.


Cut in a clockwise direction.



Remove and sand if necessary.


Using a gas soldering iron, I burn the edges for shading effect.



Glue into position and clamp.
















Repeat until complete.



Remove all the pattern and tape.




From the back, using a small chisel work around the marquetry pressing down to ensure the front is flush.




Clean up the back and make flush with a scraper and/or sand paper.


Lightly sand the front of the marquetry.







Finishing off the inside of the box. I'me not veneering the inside of the box with Silky oak, as I don't have very much left and would rather use it on the outside of a project.




Finished, except I am going to re-sand and finish the top again, it hasn't turned out as smooth as I would have liked, but I think I can fix it, otherwise I'm happy with it.

Thanks for taking the time to visit this blog.

Peter Holmes

No comments: