Tuesday 2 September 2014

AUSTRALIAN MARQUETRY BOX: Post VII. Finished

The AUSTRALIA BOX: Marquetry finished.

Monday/Tuesday 01-02/09/2014

Didn't get much done yesterday, I had a nice day out with my wife, we went for a drive to the beach, as I have a new camera and was dying to try it out, ill put some pic below, for the first time use and the complexity of the camera I'm very happy with the result.



The area these pics were take is where I grew up, 50 years ago, although things have changed and been developed, Things are also still the same.









Nearly drowned in these waters many times in my teenage years, but somehow I'm still here.






Love the unique plants.






Swimming with the sharks, and the birds watching on.






Had to show something made from wood.




The local fishing fleet, my father worked on one of these fishing boats, and on weekends my brother and I (I was only about 9) were allowed to go out to sea with him.


Local art at the surf club.

NOW FOR THE BOX:




Yesterday I cut the parts for the stand, then when I put the two together, the stand made the box too tall and look out of proportion, so I put the stand in the to be used for something one day box and made some simple feet, now the box, to me anyway looks in proportion.




After a lot of sanding, I have given the box two coats of oil, this I will allow a week or so to harden, then cut back and reapply many more cotes of oil, before the finish will finally be finished.


The latch I like the way it is, a little bit rustic.



Box joints worked with the veneer, a small chip in one of the pins to be fixed.



The hinges, as with the latch, are a little rustic.




Then Skippy, not perfect, but for my first try at doing a Kangaroo in marquetry, I'm happy with it. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this blog, I'll be back with a whole new project (when I figure out what it's going to be).

email me, Peter Holmes at holmesp06@gmail.com

No comments: