Sunday 14 September 2014

MARQUETRY FLOWER BOX: Post IV

POST NO 57: Marquetry Flower Box: Post IV



One of my earlier projects was a photo of a pelican taken by my older brother in North Creek, Ballina, I did the marquetry for the box from that photo.


In our local paper, the Northern Star, was this picture of a pelican landing at South Ballina, It was in a competition for photo of the day. Low and behold, it turned out that the photo was taken by my niece, and she won first place  in the competition. I think it will make for a wonderful marquetry project, which I will start when the current box is completed. 


Back to the current project, I have cut the pieces for the base and  around the lid, tacked then together with some super glue, I have done this so I can gauge the proportions of the box. I don't want to glue them permanently yet, as I think I may have some problems with fitting to the lid. 



Next I warped tape around the top of the box. Then cut a piece of MDF for the lid. The tape stops glue from getting on the sides of the box, and gives a small gap for the lid.


Then using two sided tape glued the MDF to the box.




Next I centered and mark the marquetry panel to be glued to the top.




Applied a cote of PVA glue to the back of the marquetry and the top of the box and allow to dry.

New SD card, back in business.


Cut the banding for the edges around the top of the box.


Apply two cotes of glue to the back and allow to dry.


Using a hot iron, iron the banding to the box. (this is the same method of attaching the marquetry, where I lost the pictures.)


Trim the edging using a small plain and sandpaper.

That's all I have time for today, dinner is on the table so I must go, thanks for visiting.

Peter Holmes
holmesp06@gmail.com

No comments: