Friday 12 September 2014

MARQUETRY FLOWER BOX: Post III


FRIDAY 12/09/2014

First I must apologize for being a bit slack of recent, I didn't come down with the flu, but I have had a few other problems with the side effects associated with wheelchairs and medications, which have left me a little flat. Hopefully I'll be back to my normal self in the near future. I haven't done much woodwork, but I have tried to do some planning, I have come up with a great new project, to follow on from the Pelican box, I'll talk more of this later. 

I have taken some pictures of a box I made for my wife for valentines day.









Now for the current project.



I have put the frame of the box together.


Silky oak for the sides, and I think but am not sure Tasmanian oak, for the marquetry panel on the top, this will be framed by a variety of timbers.


Put together I think the two types of timber should work, they are not too different in colour, and therefore clash and with the framing will stand apart.


For the base, as I always use recycled timber, I have know idea, could be Marante, but seems to hard.




The Gizmo.


I used the router on the sled to mill the pieces, I have made of lot of the machinery I use, but this Gizmo has to be one of the most versatile, It seems to be only restricted by the imagination.



By the time the edges of the lid are made to match the base, It should workout ok.



Without the top the base looks a bit bulky, see how it goes Tomorrow, may have to change it.



Thanks for visiting the blog.
Peter Holmes
holmesp06@gmail.com

No comments: