Thursday 4 September 2014

MARQUETRY: I'm just going to try Post II

ANNIVERSARY BOX Marquetry

Thursday 04/09/2014

I seem to have started something, that I'm not ready for. The Anniversary box, is something that I have had in the back of my mind for some time, but haven't done any planning. I will finish the panel for inside the lid, today, then I will put it aside until I have planned the rest of the box it is something I want to get right.

I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself and probably am, marquetry can be a bit repetitive in someways, however nothing ever works exactly the someway twice, there is always a twist in the grain, a change of colour that will give a totally different effect. For the time being I will continue on with what I'm doing. If any one has any ideas they would like me to try, I'll be very happy to give it a go. 



Today is just a continuation of yesterday.








Found a piece of purple heart, it should look good for the heart.










The last pilot hole needs to be hidden, so I drill at an angle of about 12 degrees, across the cutting line.




Maybe i should have used the purple heart for the dress.









Remove the tape from both sides of the marquetry.





Using a small chisel press down around the edges, on the back of the marquetry, this is just to make sure the front is perfectly flat.



Clean up and smooth the back of the marquetry piece.


The face of the marquetry should be flat and smooth, just a fine sanding is all that is needed.


Then a couple of cotes of oil.

No comments: