Tuesday 16 September 2014

MARQUETRY FLOWER BOX: Post V

POST NO 58: Marquetry Flower Box: Part V



Had a bit of time last night, well I got board with TV, nothing on worth watching, so I started planning the marquetry for the sailing boat. A project for the future, its going to take a while to find the right pieces of wood from which to cut the veneers. The water and sky are usually the most difficult to get right, I think, as blue wood doesn't exist that I know of.


Now back to the box,  measure the pieces for the frame/border of the lid, I find by taping the pieces into position and then marking, I get a more accurate fit.


Tape the top edge of the box, and apply a cote of PVA glue to the edge of the top. The tape allows a small gap between the lid and the base of the box, and also stops the lid getting glued to the base, it can be a bit difficult to get apart without damage.



Position and tape the border piece to the lid of the box.


Securely clamp in position.


Continue around the box until finished. Next I cut and installed a bottom into the box, except for a lot of sanding the outside is complete.

The next stage is the inside of the box, I haven't as yet given it a lot of thought, so tonight I will come up with a plan and draw up the pattern.

Thanks for visiting the blog.
Peter Holmes










No comments: