Friday 10 October 2014

ROSE WREATH Marquetry box Project 0007 Post I

ROSE WREATH Marquetry box Project 0007 Post I

For those of you that are new visitors, welcome to this blog, it is predominately a woodworking blog, but concentrating on Marquetry or Wood Inlay in which I do simple marquetry projects manly small boxes to show how I have taken the art of marquetry and developed a system that works for me. There are many ways of doing marquetry or wood inlay and I encourage all to research as many as possible. There is no right or wrong way, if it works then it's acceptable, and all methods have something to offer.

As I have just finished my latest project and have not as yet decided what I will do next, I suggest that you go to the "INDEX OF PROJECTS" page and work your way through the list of projects that have been covered to date. I would love to hear from others who do marquetry, how you go about it, the problems you have en counted and how you have overcome them and any tricks you may want to share.

Having completed the previous project, its time to start thinking and planning the next project. Today however is my old mothers 85th Birthday so we are going out to lunch. 


We decided to go to the beach, its a bit early in the season for the normal crowds.


Having lunch at the newly re built Ballina Surf Club restaurant,


Decided against having lunch out on the lawn.


There is nothing wrong with the view from inside the building.


On the way home we purchased an early Christmas present, My wife has been wanting one of the new Brother scan and cut printer things. We went home and she opened it up and started playing with it, I thought this looks pretty good, what will it do.

"WOW"

This thing will print directly onto pretty much anything, and cut through paper, plastic, fabric etc, but what really interested me is the direct printing onto of piece of veneer.


Off to the computer and start drawing.


Back to the printer, for my  wife to set it up,


and presto, problem of printing the pattern directly onto the wood veneer is solved, no more taping the veneer then printing the pattern on paper and gluing it to the tape. Then off to the shed I went.


Apply painters tape to the reverse of the marquetry veneer.


Select the veneer to be used for the inlay.


Position on the back.


Securing with masking tape or two sided tape, for this project I will use a combination of bath methods.


Drill a pilot for the scroll saw blade.


Cut around the first section to be inlaid. I am using a powered scroll saw, however you can also use a fretsaw or a scalpel/cutting knife, to achieve the same result.




Using a gas soldering iron to shade the inlay piece, this can also be done with hot sand.



Glue into position. 


Next post I'll finish the rose.

No comments: