Monday 9 March 2015

MARQUETRY How it works PART IV

Another day in the shed, working on the current project. Today I've been working on the marquetry for the front of the box.


I have cut the veneer slightly larger then the front of the box, making sure that the bottom edge is completely straight.


Applied masking tape to the veneer.


Tape the pattern to the veneer making sure the bottom is level with the bottom of the veneer.


Trace around the pattern.



I have left the centre of the pattern empty as I want to make and install a rustic wood latch in this area.


For the branch I have selected a piece of Australian Red Cedar



I singed the surface of the veneer with a blow torch, although this looks very dark by the time it is sanded a beep red/brown colour is achieved.



Tape this veneer behind the pattern.


Drill a pilot hole for the scroll saw.


The scroll saw table is set at an angle of about 6 degrees.



In a clockwise direction cut around the branch.


Remove the inlay piece.


Apply glue around the edge of the insert area.


Insert the inlay.


Apply a piece of tape to the front covering the inlay.


Using a small chisel work around the edge of the inlay, pressing down to ensure the surface the flush. Continue the process until the marquetry is complete.














Fore the shading I use a gas soldering iron or hot sand, I prefer the soldering iron as this uses much less gas then trying to keep sand hot.




















When the marquetry is finished remove the masking tape.





Apply an even cote of glue to both surfaces.


Position the marquetry veneer on the front of the box.


Clamp into position and allow the glue to dry.

Thanks for visiting, If you have any questions please leave a comment or send me an email.

No comments: