Friday 6 March 2015

MARQUETRY How it works PART III

Yesterday was a beautiful day,


Even my friend snake thought so, Its a bit hard to read his facial expressions, but I'm pretty sure he is thinking that it is a nice day.


We decided go for a drive to Byron Bay, a well known beach town in Northern New South Wales.


Julian Rocks off Byron Bay.



The Julian Rocks (Nguthungilli) Nature Reserve, this is where the big fish swim. We had lunch at the Beach Hotel and saw a movie.


That was yesterday, today I'm starting the marquetry for the ends of the box.


 I have cut four pieces of veneer for the sides of the box.



I have given these a cote of PVC Glue on the backs, this is because the veneer is very old and brittle, the glue penetrates the veneer and strengthens it.


Today I'm working on the two ends.


Apply masking tape to the front of the veneer.


Then tape the pattern to the veneer.


Insert a piece of carbon paper under the pattern.


Then trace around the pattern.


This gives you a clear print on the veneer, If  I were to glue the pattern to the veneer, I would have a hell of a time removing the paper when finished, also the paper is much thicker then the tape and leaves a ridge around the marquetry which then needs to be sanded off.


The first inlay I am going to do is the branch, I have chosen a piece of Red Cedar and using a blowtorch singed the surface.


Place the veneer behind the pattern.


Tape the veneer into position, I don't want any movement in the veneer as this would result in the inlay not fitting into the marquetry.


Drill a starting hole for the Scroll saw blade.


After cutting around the pattern in a clockwise direction, remove from the scroll saw, discard the top piece.


Apply glue around the edge of the cut out (maybe not this much).


Insert the inlay.



Turn the work over and apply a piece of tape over the inlay.


Using a small chisel press down around the inlay to make sure the front is flat.


Allow the glue to dry before removing the excess and leaving the back of the work flat.


Select the veneer for the first leaf and orientate the direction of the grain.


Tape the veneer to the back of the work piece.


Drill a pilot hole for the Scroll Saw blade.


Thread the blade through the work piece.


In a clockwise direction cut around the pattern.



Remove from the Scroll saw.


Using the gas soldering iron, I do the shading for the leaf.



apply glue around the edges.




Place the inlay into the work and tape into position, allow the glue to dry.


Using the Dremel and Stewart Mac router clean up the back.


Repeat until complete.











Once the marquetry is completed It is time to remove the tape.






At this stage I am going to glue the marquetry onto the ends of the box, then I will start the front and back panels.


Having applied PVA Quick set glue to both surfaces, allow the glue to go tacky, this will prevent the marquetry moving when clamping pressure is applied.



Tape into position.



And clamp, I often use a pacer for this purpose as it distributes the pressure very evenly.

That is the two ends completed, Thanks for visiting and I am very happy to answer any questions you may have. Next time I will complete the front and back marquetry, before proceeding to the top.

No comments: