Tuesday 3 March 2015

MARQUETRY How it works PART II

I finished the previous post off with having prepared the four sides of the box. Today I am going to finish the box and start the preparation for the marquetry.


With the veneer inside the box glued and dry.




I then rout a 1/8" groove to allow for the bottom to be seated securely.


After the groove is routed I then mitre the corners.


Lay out the pieces.


Apply glue to both surfaces.


Press together ensuring the joint is seated and square.


Glue the second corner and allow to dry.


For the base of the box I've used a piece of scrap three ply, scraped one layer off and using scraps of veneer I have covered the cleaned surface so all the veneer inside the box matches.


Using the veneer saw I make a straight edge to work from.


Insert the straight edge of the plywood into the routed groove.


Put a mark at the point the base meets the mitre, this allows for the depth of the routed groove.


Square up the end of the three ply from the mark.


Mark and cut the other end.


Slide the base into the routed grooves and mark as before.


Cut off the excess.


Clean off the edges with sandpaper


Make sure everything is square.


Put glue along the three edges of the base,



 and slide into position.


Apply glue to all surfaces.


The glue I am using is Selles Quick Set PVA glue, as the name suggests this is very fast setting for a PVA Glue.


Tape the corners ensuring the box is completely square.


For the top of the box I've again just glued scraps of MDF together.




Mark out the exact size of the top of the box.



Then cut to size.





Using the marking knife mark the thickness of the walls and the depth required to recess the top.



Chisel out the wast, this can also be done with a router.



Make sure the top fits snugly.



Glue into position.



Clamp and allow the glue to dry.


After the glue is dry check a final time that the box is all nice and square.

That is the box finished, next post I will start the marquetry.
Thanks for visiting and if you have any questions leave a comment or send me email.

No comments: