Monday 19 January 2015

LIGHTHOUSE I

I haven't had much time of recent. After the long trip we had before Christmas, its taken me longer to recover than I expected, I still don't feel right. 
My old mum is still not well and the family is trying to tear themselves apart, that's life. This year I hope to do a post at least once every two weeks.

To start the year I am going to finish the Lighthouse box I started before Christmas.



I made this panel as a trial to see if I could do a lighthouse, It came about as a request from a gentleman in the US and I wasn't shore how it would turn out.


Having completed the panel I constructed the box, using a Celtic pattern on the sides.



Next I made a pair of hinges from Australian Red Cedar.



Using my Dremel tool with the Stewart MacDonald router base to fit the hinges to the lid.


I position the hinges in the lid and temporally fix in position.


Apply a strip of tape to the back of the box where the hinges will sit.



Apply tape to the side of the hinge that contacts the box and trim the excess.


Apply super glue to the tape.


And press into position until the glue is set, ensuring the lid is straight.


Scribe around the edge with a sharp knife.



Remove the hinge and tape leaving a clearly defined area to be removed.


With a small chisel remove the edging.


Then rout out the wast.


Ensuring the hing fits correctly



Fit and glue the hinges.



Next I applying the marquetry veneer to the top of the box.

At this point I made a rookie mistake and glued the marquetry on backwards. I tried to remove the veneer without success, so I decided to re-design and make the marquetry panel for the lid.



In a later post I will try and repair the panel to use in another project.

No comments: